Thursday, December 16, 2004

Time for PC upgrade

After almost 4 years I upgraded my home PC from Windows 2000 to XP.
Installing SMTP server messed up the Internet connection on my old OS. I
also flashed the BIOS from 2.9 version to 3.6 to support hard drives > 32G.
This allowed me to install a new hard drive with 160GB capacity. It is a
Western Digital with 7200rpm and 8.9ms seek time. This is faster than
Seagate and Maxtor. For some reason during the upgrade Western Digital
restricted the hard drive capacity to 137GB (XP cannot access beyond 137?).
I should have partitioned the drive to utilize its full capacity. Still
waiting for the 512MB RAM, so that I can increase the memory from 1GB to
1.5GB. Installed a Adaptec 2 fire-port 3 USB 2.0 port card. This made
accessing my external Western Digital hard drive as fast as internal hard
drive. This drive is basically for backup/restore purpose (capacity >
100GB).

No comments:

Post a Comment